Mug Followup

Well, my “I ♥ Mormons” mug arrived in the mail sometime in mid-October and I’ve been keeping it on my desk at work. As some here had predicted, it has indeed been a conversation starter. It certainly added a fun bit of character to my workspace and none of my LDS co-workers were offended by it (or at least none admitted to being offended).

Unfortunately, this morning as I was walking to the break room to fill it with coffee, I fumbled and dropped it on the floor in the hallway. It shattered into two large halves and a dozen smaller shards. I casually remarked to one of my Mormon friends that this may have been a sign from God that I should stop loving Mormons, to which he smartly replied that it was more likely a sign that I should stop drinking coffee. Touché.

This entry was posted in essay.

7 thoughts on “Mug Followup

1. Amen to your friend’s comment. ;)

Whether coffee (or the caffeine in coffee) has negative health effects or not, it is certainly addictive.

In general, what personal or religious thoughts are out there about allowing your God-given body to become dependent upon a foreign and unnecessary chemical or substance? Is it morally wrong to be addicted to pain killers, to alcohol, to drugs, or to caffeine?

2. Ha ha! That’s pretty good. Have you purchased a new one since? If so, what are the chances of that one breaking also? Mabye you should put down the coffee and pick up bottled water. I know some of those water containers they make at Eddie Bauer and such are unbreakable.

3. Steve said:

Leave it to you to turn something trivial into a full-fledged discussion of morality issues. :p

I’m confident from a thorough reading of the New Testament that there are no commandments against what a person can eat or drink, and in fact the New Testament seems to forbid the making of such rules or commandments. However, I tend to agree that becoming enslaved to various kinds of foods/drinks/drugs would qualify as having other gods, something that is clearly forbidden by the first commandment.

I don’t personally consider myself addicted to coffee any more than I am addicted to, say, pepperoni pizza, but I suppose that’s up for debate.

Aaron said:

I’m seriously considering buying another “I ♥ Mormons” mug, but it probably won’t be until after Christmas. As for your bottled water idea, I do have a plastic sport bottle on my desk that I drink water from during the day. I had one of those unbreakable nalgene bottles but left it at a friend’s house a month or so ago. I’ve been meaning to pick it up, but I haven’t ever gotten around to it.

4. Joey said:

I’ll say it’s up for debate ;)!

If you didn’t drink any coffee today and tomorrow, would you get a headache? Would you be able to feel alert and alive without the chemical stimulation?

If you didn’t eat pepperoni pizza today or tomorrow (or for the next week), would you get a headache?

5. Steve said:

Steve, I think you’ve overestimated my coffee intake and underestimated my pizza consumption. :)

I drink at most one cup of coffee per day, and that probably only 3 or 4 days out of the week. In fact, I probably drink more Pepsi and water than coffee. I did go for several days without coffee or Pepsi a couple weeks ago. I was experiencing some abdominal pain and [WebMD] recommended that I lay off the caffeine until the pain subsided. I don’t remember experiencing any headaches, but I was doped up on Tylenol most of the week on account of the abdominal pain, so it probably wasn’t a true test.

Now, pizza I eat a lot of. I buy these Tombstone deep-dish singles and take them to work for lunch (I’m eating one later today, in fact). I’m not sure what would happen if I stopped eating pizza. I’d probably have to replace it with some other kind of food.

Come to think of it, maybe I’m addicted to food. Yeah, everytime I’ve gone two or three days without food I do start to feel kinda weak and cranky. I think in order to truly worship God and cease this idolatry, I should probably stop eating food altogether. In fact, I’m going to stop commenting on my blog, because I feel better after I comment on my blog, and that must mean I’m enslaved to it. Heck, I suppose I should stop using the internet and driving my car and kissing my wife and . . .

Steve, the fact is, all foods and drinks (among other things) cause “chemical stimulation”. Yes, some things cause higher levels of addiction than others, but you’re addicted to just about everything at some level or another. Our dependence on these things is part of the human condition, and it’s a result of Adam’s original sin and of our own continuing sin. We won’t cease to be addicted to these things until we’re ushered into glory and our fallen state is finally cast off.

Now, of course, I’m not saying we shouldn’t carefully consider what we take into our bodies. I’m certainly not going to start snorting speed and claim that I have a license because it’s part of my fallen nature. However, the Bible makes it clear that we’re not to judge one another on the basis of what we eat or drink (Col. 2:13-23). There are so many things that are more important for us to worry about than coffee, something which “perishes with use” and simply won’t matter when I’m dead and gone.

6. Joey said:

Steve, the fact is, all foods and drinks (among other things) cause “chemical stimulation”?.

You should probably differentiate between an addiction to caffeine and an addiction to food and water. The argument that, “Well I’m addicted to food…so why not be addicted to caffeine?” is weak at best, as I’m sure you realize. :) Nourishment is, of course, something EVERYONE requires to live. Technically, you could stop eating food, as long as you found some other way to provide your body with the necessary nutrients.

Caffeine, or coffee, on the other hand, is required only by those who have chosen to take it in and become enslaved to it. In most cases, giving it up would not kill them. (Although, I admit I would surely die if I didn’t eat chocolate again. Come to think of it…I would probably die if I continued eating it regularly, too.) ;)

Feel free to make a comparison between caffiene, the Internet, and driving your car, however. None of those things are required from birth for you to live. A person addicted to any of those things is in an equally troubling position, in my mind.

Joey said:

I am glad to read that you are probably not addicted to caffeine. I wasn’t necessarily trying to push the spiritual portion of that argument. Uncessary physical or mental addiction just seems like a waste of physical or mental capacity, whether or not you also think it is “a sin.”